…sweet chili apple-pomegranate
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
Total time 40 minutes
Servings 8 servings
Calories 336 kcal
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 2 in chipotle chilies adobo minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or more or less to taste
- salt and peper
- 1 (8 ounce) beer
- 1/2 cup apple cider plus more if needed
- 1/2 -3/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 8 warmed flour or corn tortillas for serving
- sharp cheddar cheese + cotija cheese for serving
- SWEET CHILI APPLE-POMEGRANATE SALSA.
- 2 honeycrisp apples finely chopped
- arils from one small pomegranate
- 1 jalapeño seeded (if desired) + chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 2-4 tablespoons sweet thai chili sauce (I used 3 but use as little or much as you would like)
- Add the chicken to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Add the garlic, minced chipotle chilies in adobo, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, brown sugar and a pinch of both salt and pepper. Toss well to combine, making sure all the chicken gets coated in seasonings.
- Heat a large brasier or dutch oven over medium high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and sear on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side. Reduce the heat slightly and pour in the beer + apple cider. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa. Add the chopped apple, pomegranate arils, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and sweet thai chili sauce to a bowl. Toss well to combine, taste and adjust if needed. Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the pot and shred with two forks. Meanwhile reduce the sauce that is left in the pot down to about 3/4 of a cup. Add the shredded chicken back to the sauce in the pot and toss. Now add the enchilada sauce and continue to cook about 2 minutes or until warmed through. If the sauce gets too thick, add a splash of apple cider.
- To serve, add the shredded chicken to a warmed taco shell. Top with cheddar, avocado and then the apple salsa. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and chopped cilantro. Happy taco eating!
*To make these in the crockpot, add all the ingredients for the tacos (minus the cheese + tortillas) to the bowl of your crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or low 4-6 hours. Shred the chicken and return to the crockpot. If needed cook the chicken oh high for 30 minutes with the lid off to help thin the sauce.